For diabetics, sweet potato is a good choice to substitute rice. Aside from its low Glycemic Index (GI), sweet potato is rich in fiber and vitamin. Orange sweet potato has beta-carotene which is good for the eyes, while purple sweet potato has lots of antioxidants.
You can either steam, deep fry, or bake some sweet potatoes as an afternoon snack. You may try below sweet potato soup recipe as well. It is one of my cold weather comfort food choices!
- 1 regular purple sweet potato. Wash, peel, and cut into small pieces, soak into clean water
- 1 regular orange sweet potato. Wash, peel, and cut into small pieces, soak into clean water
- 2 pandan leaves
- 2 glass of water
- rock sugar
- Place pandan leaves, rock sugar, ginger, and water into a pot and bring it to a boil.
- Once the water boils, put in the sweet potatoes, simmer on medium high heat until the sweet potatoes soften (about 8-10 minutes).
- Discard pandan leaves and serve immediately.
- Sweet potatoes must be soaked into water once peeled, or it will turn brown.
- In case you do not like the dark color of the soup, you may boil the two types of sweet potato into separate pots and move the purple ones into the other pot after it softens.
Feel free to check this page to know more about sweet potatoes.